We are a cultural charity, a National Lottery distributor, and the UK's lead organisation for film and the moving image. Our mission is:
• To support creativity and actively seek out the next generation of UK storytellers
• To grow and care for the BFI National Archive, the world’s largest film and television archive
• To offer the widest range of UK and international moving image culture through our programmes and festivals — delivered online and in venue
• To use our knowledge to educate and deepen public appreciation and understanding of film and the moving image
• To work with Government and industry to ensure the continued growth of the UK’s screen industries
Founded in 1933, the BFI is a registered charity governed by Royal Charter.
The BFI Board of Governors is chaired by Tim Richards.